Bloomberg Senior Cassandra Platform Engineer in New York, New York
Job Requisition Number: 59882
Bloomberg's applications teams face complex challenges - large-scale data storage, low-latency retrievals, high-volume requests, and high availability over a distributed environment to name a few. And it's our goal to create standardized solutions to these challenges by building core services and technology frameworks for all teams.
We are building these platforms using NoSQL technologies such as HBase and Cassandra. Our platform team offers Cassandra as a hosted service for high-impact applications such as market data caches and trade life-cycle event stores. We are fostering adoption of Cassandra by improving engineers' experience using it within Bloomberg. Our team is gaining a lot of visibility with application teams as we're providing sustainable solutions for scaling and high availability across the firm.
Right now, our team is working cluster provisioning, workflows for keyspace and schema management, implementing client libraries for custom load balancing and retry policies and investigating containerization & cloud deployment solutions. We also provide solutions engineering for application teams, helping them with data modeling and architecture.
If you are passionate about distributed systems, have seen them behave in production and have interacted with the open source community, we'd like to talk to you about an opening on our team.
We'll trust you to:
- Help application teams looking to use Cassandra with workload characterization, performance tuning and failure analysis
- Develop innovative tooling ranging from auto-tuning clusters for a given workload to mediator services that handle workload management for multi-tenant deploys.
- Identify feature gaps in the technology and work with our vendor partners and the open source community to co-design and co-develop features and bug fixes
You'll need to have:
- Experience designing and implementing low-latency, high-scalability systems
- Solid production experience with Cassandra, in a platform/infrastructure role
- Strong experience with systems-level Java - knowledge of garbage collection internals, concurrency models, native & async IO and Off-heap memory management
- Experience troubleshooting complex distributed systems, hotfixing them and providing patches to upstream in a timely manner
We'd love to see:
- Upstream, accepted open source contributions to HBase, Cassandra or other NoSQL technologies.
If this sounds like you, submit an application and check out Bloomberg's Github: https://github.com/bloomberg. You can also check out some of our recent contributions to HBase (https://www.slideshare.net/HBaseCon/cursors-in-apache-phoenix) and Spark (https://www.techatbloomberg.com/events/spark-summit-east-2017/ ).