Bloomberg Senior Cloud Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure in New York, New York
Job Requisition Number: 56415
About Engineering Compute Infrastructure
Bloomberg has an impressive internal Cloud infrastructure that enables our applications to prosper. We’re the team of software and system engineers focused on scaling it. Every day we use our system architecture & engineering skills to dig deep into the Openstack architecture and influence the reliability and supportability aspects. We have a vision and a mission to automate away highly operational tasks such as break/fix, cluster migrations, new service build-outs, abuse, etc. On any given day we work with engineering, product & project managers, test and automation teams on everything from architecture to developing strategic and tactical solutions.
If you have experience building, scaling out and managing large distributed services, join us and contribute to services that can shrink and expand based on demand, self-heal and automatically rollout.
What’s in it for you:
As a member of the Cloud Services team you'll deliver one of the largest and most mature OpenStack-based clouds in the Fintech space. This infrastructure supports critical products with a tremendous impact across Bloomberg. You'll help us increase our velocity and deployment of additional functions such as LaaS, CaaS and others. There will be frequent opportunities to learn and improve your networking skills in areas like BGP and layer 7 services. You'll also have opportunities to contribute back into leading Open Source infrastructure projects such as Ceph, OpenStack, and OpenCompute.
We’ll trust you to:
- Add and improve Cloud and storage product features
- Improve cloud and storage product reliability, availability, maintainability, cost/benefit
- Design new hardware architectures for cloud products
- Design new network architectures for cloud products
- Re-architect Bloomberg's OpenStack distro
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years OpenStack Private Cloud with experience with Public Cloud (e.g. AWS) experience a plus
- 4+ years Network expertise - linux kernel network features, BGP, routing, web (REST) APIs
- 3+ years Linux hypervisor (ideally, KVM) expertise
- 3+ years High availability engineering experience (clustering, consensus algorithms, fail-over mechanisms)
- 3+ years of experience configuring, deploying and operating OpenStack and Ceph with both block and s3 configurations
- 3+ years of Scripting, ideally Python and Ruby with use of Nova API
We'd love to see:
- Demonstrated deep expertise in some relevant area or areas
- Accepted upstream code contributions to OpenStack and/or Ceph
- Talks or papers accepted at relevant conferences