Bloomberg C++ Software Development Team Leader - Communication Channels in London, United Kingdom
Job Requisition Number: 67330
The Communication Channels team builds products used by all Bloomberg clients for real-time communication such as exchanging quotes, trade ideas, news and other financial information. Our email (MSG) and instant message (IB) products deliver more than a billion messages per day, and have a very broad user-base, comprising of asset managers, brokers, traders, financial analysts and desks across all asset classes. Our users heavily rely on these products due to their real-time performance, massive scale, ironclad security, tight integration with financial data and applications on the Bloomberg Terminal, and, most importantly, singular access to the Bloomberg network of 350,000 financial professionals.
We are looking for a Team Leader who'll manage a team (5 developers) responsible for Bloomberg's Internet Email and File Storage systems. Our Internet Email system handles tens of millions of emails per day, converting SMTP MIME e-mails into Bloomberg MSG (and vice-versa) and providing services such as virus detection and spam filtering. Our File Store is a large-scale, distributed, low-latency and high-throughput system that provides file storage as a service.
This is an exciting time for our team and product. We are further expanding the scope of our file store by incorporating tens of terabytes of data, redesigning our APIs and interfaces to become more compliant with industry standards, and pushing wider adoption of our service across the company. Our team is also exploring mechanisms to improve the way our clients manage their email inbox, and more generally, to improve their workflow with email.
As a Team Leader, we will trust you to:
- Be a hands-on technical leader and work side by side with your team, constantly empowering them to become more effective
- Foster a culture of high quality and strong software development practices in the team
- Drive innovation and the technical direction of the team
- Inspire and motivate a high performing team to achieve great results, while supporting individual growth and development
- Communicate and collaborate with multiple teams across the company, including our Product as well as Engineering teams
You will need to have:
- Demonstrated technical and leadership experience in a fast paced environment
- A passion for developing scalable, reliable, low latency and high throughput systems
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience working with stakeholders to set expectations, compromise, and deliver great results incrementally in an Agile fashion
We would love you to have:
- Strong programming ability in C++
- Familiarity with Internet email technology
- Experience with building scalable distributed systems and managing deployment risk
What is in it for you?
Bloomberg’s Communication Channels team develops the most heavily used products on the Bloomberg Terminal. As a leader, you will have an opportunity to drive our vision and technological choices as the team builds out solutions to serve very large amount data within rigid throughput and latency constraints.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we are a good match! We will get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are. In the meantime, check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.