Bloomberg Senior Software Engineer - Visualization Team in New York, New York
Job Requisition Number: 66325
The Bloomberg Charts product is used by over 150,000 financial professionals worldwide to make financial decisions. Our next-generation Charts unlock market data and give our clients unprecedented advantages. Today's Charts product spans a wide gamut of functionality, from visualizing data on the screen to real-time data alerting to historical trend analysis and much more. The Charts & Maps group provides an immensely popular platform for visual and quantitative analysis of data sets through a host of Bloomberg Applications, widgets and mission critical services. The services cater to a broad spectrum of terminal and enterprise users with more than 60+ million daily hits and we're looking for new members to work on some of our most exciting and challenging assignments.
What our team does:
The Visualization team within the Charts group provides the core data visualization libraries and widgets that are used by software developers across the company to add rich, interactive graphics and charts to their applications on the Bloomberg Terminal. The code base spans a number of technologies, including native libraries written in C++ using Windows GDI and OpenGL, as well as libraries written in TypeScript using HTML5 Canvas and SVG. The toolkit built by the Visualization team gives our users the ability to explore and manipulate data visually and is developed using an expressive visualization grammar that allows developers to describe very customizable graphs which are tailored to the data being displayed. The goal of the team is to develop highly performant, highly interactive visualization libraries that can be deployed to multiple platforms, providing a rich, consistent charting experience for our users.
What's in it for you?
As a software developer on the Visualization team, you will help expand the capabilities of the graphics libraries used by thousands of application developers and will be involved in the full life cycle of development, from the design of new features, to the implementation, testing and rollout of your code. Developers on the Visualization team take an active role in determining the future roadmap of features and are an integral part of the success of the Bloomberg Charts product.
We’ll expect you to:
- Develop highly performant, well-structured, well-tested code that delivers the right features needed by our clients
- Write code that follows S.O.L.I.D. principles (Single Responsibility, Open-Closed, Liskov Substitution, Interface Segregation and Dependency Inversion)
- Work cross-functionally with other members of the team to design and implement product features
- Anticipate the future for data visualization and graphics technology and adapt your solutions as necessary
- Utilize your technical expertise to mentor others and contribute to the growth of the team
You'll need to have:
- 10+ years programming in C++
- 2+ years programming in TypeScript
- 2+ years experience with graphics APIs (OpenGL, Windows GDI, HTML5 Canvas, SVG, etc.)
- Deep understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Good communication skills
- Experience working in an agile environment is a plus
- Experience with micro service architecture, cloud computing, Virtual Machines are nice to have
If this sounds like you, apply! We’ll get in touch if we believe you’re a good match and get started with a technical phone interview. If that goes well, we’ll invite you onsite to meet our team and of course, demo the products you’ll work on.