Bloomberg SRE - Core Automation in New York, New York
Job Requisition Number: 66808
An SRE at Bloomberg is a hybrid of systems and software engineering who is trusted to improve the stability and availability of the production environment through automation. We're responsible for monitoring, provisioning, configuration management, orchestration, capacity planning, deployment and rollback, incident management, and systems development life cycle practices.
The Systems Automation Engineering group is trusted to build out core automation components and establish the necessary tooling and architectural standards for all aspects of orchestration and configuration management. This includes Chef, Salt, and a testing framework for both.
What's In It For You:
You'll work with modern, open-source tooling while maintaining mission-critical systems hosting a wide array of applications for the Bloomberg Terminal product. System Engineers will trust you as an escalation point and you'll regularly collaborate to maintain the stability and performance of operating systems and servers. We'll depend on you to advise on design, architecture, and utilization of enterprise-class configuration and orchestration systems.
You'll Need to Have:
- Demonstrated experience programming and testing Python, Ruby, Go, or C/C++
- Experience working in a 24/7 production engineering organization
- Ability to listen, communicate, evaluate, problem solve, multi-task, and prioritize in a high-pressure, mission-critical, and rewarding team environment.
- Familiarity with configuration / orchestration management tools such as Chef, SaltStack, Puppet or Ansible
- Experience programming in Python or Ruby
- Ability to create robust testing and certification processes to comprehensively evaluate impact of configuration and orchestration changes to the Bloomberg systems stack
- Working knowledge of using source control systems like GIT and working on CICD pipelines utilizing tools like Docker, Jenkins
We'd Love to See:
- Deep expertise troubleshooting complex distributed systems
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures and/or playbooks
- Working knowledge of Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Salt
- Familiarity with open source configuration, orchestration, and CI/CD tools
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP and Unix networking, Linux kernel performance (virtual memory and process scheduling)